The following was sent this morning to the Massachusetts Joint Commmittee on Children and Families. Add your voice. Contact the committee today. Contact information can be found below in Massachusetts: Ground Zero.
BASTARD NATION: THE ADOPTEE RIGHTS ORGANIZATION
P. O. Box 1468
Edmond, OK 73083-1468
MASSACHUSETTS JOINT COMMITTEE ON CHILDREN & FAMILIES
March 14, 2006
WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR BILL SB 959, AS WRITTEN
* The state must not keep secrets about its citizens; it must not withhold any personal information from them.
* The state’s job is to issue an original birth certificate to anycitizen who requests it for himself or herself.
* State governments must not have any special rules that apply only to adopted adults.
* Adopted adults do not want any special treatment; they want to be treated like all other adult citizens of Massachusetts.
* The state has NO compelling interest in adoptees after they reach the age of majority.
* Adopted adults should be “aged out” of the system in the same way as foster children.
* NEW HAMPSHIRE, ALABAMA, OREGON, KANSAS AND ALASKA, as well as the vast majority of countries in the free world allow adult adoptees to obtain their own historical birth records, consistent with the basic ideas of how a free society’s government should operate.
* Passing Bill SB 959 is the right thing to do.