RESTORE THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF ADULT ADOPTEES!
7 REASONS TO SUPPORT SB 959:
- Rights are a commonsense one-size-fits-all policy and protection for all citizens without exception. All adults should have the same access to government-held records of their births, whether adopted or not. Preventing adult adoptees from obtaining this information is discriminatory.
- The state has no compelling interest in and should not be in the business of concealing basic, personal identity information from its own citizens.
- The fundamental right of adoptees to have access to our own government-held identity information is a separate issue from whether or not adoptees and birth parents should contact each other.
- Adult adoptees and birth parents contact each other all the time, even in sealed records states. As competent adults, we are capable of negotiating our own relationships, if and when we choose to form them.
- The state should not block adults from their own birth documents in an attempt to prevent contact between two adult parties. In what other capacity does the state regulate contact between law-abiding adult citizens?
- There is no evidence that restoring to adult adoptees the right to access our own identity information is detrimental to the process of adoption.
- There is no evidence that granting adult adoptees access to our own identity information causes any increase in the rate of abortion.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
BASTARD NATION: The Adoptee Rights Organization