The Gift of Hope, Adoptions, (yes, that’s the real name) posted this today on Twitter: Capitol, Governor’s Mansion to be lit purple to advocate for adoption
The Missouri state Capitol’s dome and the Governor’s Mansion will be lit purple this weekend in recognition of National Adoption Month.
The dome and mansion will be lit purple Friday through Sunday, from sunset until sunrise each day — representing 1,579 Missouri children and youth in foster care looking for their forever family, according to a news release from Gov. Mike Parson’s office.
Who’s brainy idea was this, and what does it mean? My first thought was purple? And why would anyone be inspired to adopt out of fostercare or even acquire an HWI for that matter, by driving by a state-sponsored purple light show? Outside of a press release and a short puff piece in the news, who even knows what this means?
I got curious and looked up what purple and derivative ribbons represent. to get a clue where purple lights come in. Here it is:
Purple typically represents pancreatic cancer and epilepsy. It is also a symbol for Alzheimer’s disease, lupus, animal abuse, Crohn’s disease, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, sarcoidosis awareness, thyroid cancer, ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), and religious tolerance.
- Lavender: Caregiver Appreciation, Cancer (unspecified), Epilepsy, Gynecological Cancer, Foster Care, Infantile Spasms, Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis, Rett Syndrome
- Orchid: Testicular Cancer
- Purple: ADHD, Animal Abuse, Crohn’s Disease, ADD, Arnold Chiari Malformation, Alzheimer’s, Anti-Violence, Fibromyalgia in Men, GI Cancer (Intestinal), Chronic Pain, Colitis, Cystic Fibrosis, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Harmony, Homelessness, Leiomyosarcoma, Lupus, Mucolipidosis, Neuropathy Awareness, Macular Degeneration, Migraines (1st choice: alternate burgundy), Domestic Violence, No Unattended Kids in Cars, Pancreatic Cancer, Pancreatitis (Chronic), Thyroid Cancer, Religious Tolerance, Mesh Survivor, Sarcoidosis, Sjogren’s Syndrome, Thymoma Cancer, Rett Syndrome, Victims of 9/11
- Violet Ribbon: Hodgkin’s Disease, Testicular Cancer
Why are “fostercare” and “adoption” lumped in with numerous cancers, epilepsy, animal abuse, Khron’s Disease, Infantile Spasms, Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis. and Sjogren’s Syndrome? I had to look up that last two. I mean, isn’t NAMM a celebration and adoption a positive happy thing, not a debilitating disease? Perhaps, that’s a rhetorical question.
When I worked in theater we all dutifully wore red ribbons for pubic occasions only no one really knew to what purpose outside of letting people feel good about being “aware” of AIDS and virtue signaling those who refused to wear the fashion accouterment. Did wearing a red ribbon fill the research coffers? Cure AIDS? The red ribbon at least became so publicized by rich and famous celebrities that never left home with it, that a lot of people knew what it meant. The ribbon was about AIDS. awareness and support for PWAs so the rest of us who weren’t impacted especially by the illness could feel good about ourselves. But a purple statehouse? A purple governor’s mansion? Should we expect a line-up at Children’s Services on Monday morning to sign up? Blinded by the purple light.
As a side note, once adopted, Missouri treats its adopted class like they’ve crawled out of a peat bog.
Here are the state’s archaic new and improved rules for adopted people to obtain their own original birth certificates. Fake “activists” supported this abomination.
- Tiered access
- Adoptees 18 and older can receive OBC subject to corrupt birthparent “contact preference form” that acts as a Disclosure Veto.
- Depending on whether one or two parents are listed on the original birth certificate, the OBC is either withheld entirely from the adoptee or identifying information is redacted.
- Identifying information on the OBC redacted if a parent requests contact through an intermediary.
I don’t know anything about Missouri’s fostercare system, but I but it’s shitty as every other state’s.